18 May 2014

session 7 - back on the rod


We showed up at Lilli Pilli armed to catch squid. We had burley. We had lures. We had a second fishing line. The water was calm and crystal clear. The tide was out, and we knew that today we'd be bringing home the big ones.

The dock was busy, as usual; and I cast off its low end. Almost immediately squid came over to check out my lure. No doubt they were interested, but they weren't quite ready to dine. I dropped my jig again and felt a tug. I started to reel in, but I couldn't manage the resistance. I pulled and tugged and called out to Craig for help. Had I caught a monster? No, I snagged someone's long ago abandoned line. It was a struggle just to get my lure back.

Undeterred, I dropped my jig again and again and again. Another tug turned out to be a boulder which I reeled all the way to the surface before cutting it away.

And that was it. Another night squidding. Another night of failure.

Jigs: Rogue Calamar Pink 1.5 and  2.5
Location: Lilli Pilli Baths Wharf
Highlights: Schools of small fish danced under our light
Session Squid Count: 0
Squid Count to Date: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment